103 (custom indicator)
Actions taken to reduce the Group’s impact on the natural environment are treated as a priority. Concern for this area is reflected in our environmental policy.
The Environmental Policy is a document that defines the competences and responsibilities as well as processes and activities relevant to environmental protection. It takes a systematic approach to preventing and mitigating adverse impacts on the environment and climate. The Environmental Policy sets out:
- general rules, rights and obligations in the area of environmental protection at PGE Group,
- processes and activities carried out at PGE Group that are of key importance to environmental protection,
- key roles defined in the environmental management process for appropriate levels within PGE Group’s organisational structure,
- environmental processes in business units, taking into account the specifics of each one,
- continuously raising awareness of PGE Group’s employees in the field of environmental protection.
Environmental impact management issues have been incorporated into PGE Group’s Code of Ethics, which requires all employees to use natural resources rationally and into the PGE SA Management Board’s Declaration on Environmental Policy. In it, the Management Board commits to continuous improvement of activities for the protection and enhancement of the environment and to the prevention of pollution by implementing high and economically justified technological standards.
Declaration by the Management Board of PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A. on the environmental policy is available here.
Environmental Management System
PGE SA has since 2019 had a team responsible for implementing, maintaining and improving the environmental management system based on the PN-EN ISO 14001:2015 standard. Regarding to the key PGE Capital Group companies (PGE SA, PGE GiEK, PGE EC, PGE EO, PGE Dystrybucja, PGE Ekoserwis), the ISO 14001:2015 standard is implemented in 100% of the companies and certified in 50% of the companies (PGE GiEK, PGE EC, PGE Ekoserwis). To ensure that PGE Group’s Environmental Policy is successfully implemented, environmental management system administrators and coordinators have been appointed in individual companies. The results of cyclical audits confirm that both the developed regulations and the activities carried out as part of the certified management system are compliant with the requirements of the standards and increase the effectiveness of management. Where necessary, improvement measures are implemented.
The EcoManagement and Audit Scheme (EMAS) is an EU environmental certification scheme and an instrument to support the implementation of a sustainable culture within an organisation with regard to effective management of available resources and energy. EMAS operates on the basis of the EU Regulation on the voluntary participation by organisations in a Community eco-management and audit scheme.
EMAS is currently implemented at two branches of PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna – in Elektrownia Opole and in Zespół Elektrowni Dolna Odra. The Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS PI:2999) is in place at PGE Energia Ciepła’s Wybrzeże CHP branch. Together with the environmental declaration, it is subject to annual verification by an independent accredited verifier. EMAS registration means compliance with the highest standards in environmental management and audit.
The Opole and Dolna Odra branches of PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna are among the organisations that have been registered in the national eco-management and audit scheme (EMAS) for the longest time. The Opole plan is the national leader in this respect.
Green Office Certificate
Green offices with functionalities that meet environmental objectives are one of the manifestations of PGE’s environmental commitment. Across many PGE Group locations, offices have undergone a Green Office certification process, carried out by the Foundation for Environmental Education. The certificate is issued for two years. The certificate issue is preceded by an independent certification survey, and employees take part in a series of training sessions concerning, inter alia, good ecological practices used in the office and at home.
The Green Office certificate confirms that PGE Group undertakes new pro-ecological initiatives that result in the reduction of the company’s impact on the natural environment, also in the administrative aspect.
The benefits of implementing Green Office certification include:
- credible proof of compliance with environmentally relevant parameters,
- participation in a national initiative providing an opportunity to exchange experience, explore the potential for cooperation and mutual promotion (green marketing),
- raise environmental awareness among the company’s employees and customers,
- lower operating costs through more rational management of raw materials, energy, water and waste.
The following companies held the Green Office certificate in 2021:
- PGE SA,
- PGE Dystrybucja: central office and branches: Białystok, Lublin, Łódź, Rzeszów, Skarżysko-Kamienna, Warsaw, Zamość,
- PGE Obrót: central office in Rzeszów and 6 locations: Białystok, Lublin, Warsaw, Łódź, Skarżysko-Kamienna and Zamość,
- PGE Energia Odnawialna: central office,
- PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna: central office and seven branches.